- Amebiasis is an infection due to the protozoan Entamoeba histolytica
- Most common manifestation is liver abscesses
- Thoracic involvement is either through direct extension from the liver (most common) or via hematogenous spread
- Pleural effusions are common, may be an empyema if the effusion is due to a ruptured hepatic abscess
- Pneumonia with formation of hepatobronchial or bronchobiliary fistula
- Pericarditis is more common when the left hepatic lobe is involved and can cause cardiac tamponade
- Invasion of the IVC may cause pulmonary emboli
Martinez S, Restrepo CS, Carrillo JA, et al. Thoracic manifestations of tropical parasitic infections: a pictorial review. Radiographics 2005;25:135-55.